By: Sharon Aron Baron
The Sacred Art Tour will return to the Coral Springs Museum of Art this month for a six day event of culture, teachings, and artistic expression.
Eight Tibetan Buddhist monks from the Drepung Gomang Monastery, students of H.H. Dalai Lama, will visit the Coral Springs Museum of Art Tuesday Jan. 17 – Sunday Jan. 22, 2017 to spread the monks’ message of peace, loving kindness, wisdom, and compassion while sharing their traditional Tibetan arts and culture. Funds raised from this event support their Monastery in southern India.
During their stay, the monks will devote each day from 10:00am until closing constructing the renowned Sand Mandala. Millions of colored grains of sand will be carefully laid out in specific patterns and diagrams which represent sacred textual Buddhist imagery. Upon completion, the mandala will be ceremoniously deconstructed and deposited into a moving waterway, which is believed to spread blessings to the local community.
Dinner with the Monks and other Events
Other highlights include tradition Tibetan culinary classes followed by lunch or dinner with the monks which will include casual conversation with the Geshe. Artistic workshops feature the painting of Tibetan peace symbols on stones called Mani Stones, the ancient art of butter sculpture and coloring Tibetan designs for kids. Cultural pageantry presents costume, ritual dance, song, and chants. Sacred Tibetan practices and chanting open and close each day.
Events require ticket purchase or pre-registration. Space is limited for workshops and culinary events.
Visitors will also have the opportunity to purchase goods from the Tibetan Marketplace offered by the monks throughout their visit. The marketplace will be located within the Museum.
All contributions from the tour are used to purchase food, housing, and medical supplies for the nearly 2,000 monks at the Drepung Gomang Monastery in Southern India, and as seed funds for income-generating projects aimed at eventual self-sufficiency.
The Museum is located at 2855 Coral Springs Drive, Coral Springs, Florida 33065 and is open to the general public (954) 340-5000.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.05.07Register Now for the ‘King of Coral Springs’ Chess Tournament in Coral Springs
- News2021.05.06Pet Therapy Dogs Delivers Message in Honor of National Nurses Week
- News2021.05.06City of Coral Springs Facilities Still Require Face Masks, Despite Executive Order
- News2021.05.06Pet Supermarket Honors a ‘Teacher’s Pet’ that Helps Students Learn