By: Sharon Aron Baron
In honor of the men and women who served in the Vietnam War, the Moving Wall will be coming to Coral Springs next Fall. The Wall is a replica of the original memorial in Washington D.C. listing the names of more than 58,000 Americans who gave their lives in service to their country.
A Coral Springs resident for almost 25 years, Commissioner Lou Cimaglia served in the Army Reserve for eight years. When he heard about The Moving Wall four years ago, he made it his goal to bring it to his City. The Moving Wall is a great reminder of the loss endured in the Vietnam War. The idea behind it is to bring about healing for veterans, their families and the community.
“When I talk to veterans who lost buddies there, the tears flow,” Commissioner Cimaglia said. “The whole purpose of this is to bring the Wall to the people. They say when you go there, it’s an emotional experience.”
The Wall will be on display at the Sportsplex from October 22 – 26, 2015. There will be ceremonies planned daily to commemorate the Vietnam veterans. Residents will have the opportunity leave mementos at the Wall. Items will be sent back to Washington D.C. to The Moving Wall Museum.
The Veterans Coalition is sponsoring this initiative and there will be fundraisers throughout the year to raise the $5,000 needed to cover costs. Any additional funds raised will be donated to The Moving Wall and their organization to maintain The Wall.
“I’m on cloud nine,” Cimaglia added. “I think this will do so much good for our City.”
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.07.12Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event