By Ryan Yousefi
A Coral Springs woman is facing charges of assault with a deadly weapon after allegedly chasing a man through the streets with a butcher knife, causing him to drive on the wrong side of the road.
On October 5, officers from the Coral Springs Police Department responded to a domestic disturbance happening in public near the 8900 block of West Sample Road, where a woman reportedly had chased a man with a butcher knife.
According to the report, upon arrival at the scene, officers immediately observed a vehicle positioned in a manner that suggested he had driven the wrong way on West Sample Road, as well as a flustered and confused victim attempting to flag them down.
The victim explained to the officers that he had been contacted by the mother of his child, later identified as Edline Denis, 35, of Coral Springs, who had requested he drop off baby items at an agreed-upon meeting area.
The situation quickly turned violent as Denis and the victim engaged in a heated argument. The argument escalated when Denis allegedly threw her cell phone at the victim, striking him in the head. According to medical records, the victim sustained injuries that corroborated his claims.
According to the victim, as he attempted to call the police, Denis allegedly screamed, “I’m going to kill you!” she took a large kitchen-style butcher knife from her purse and began walking toward him.
Denis allegedly aggressively held the knife, coming within approximately ten feet of him. Fearing for his life, the victim fled and entered his vehicle, which Denis then stood in front of with the knife still in her hand, blocking his exit.
Desperate to escape the situation, the victim told officers he drove the wrong way on West Sample Road. Denis chased him with the knife on foot briefly before discontinuing her pursuit.
Once the victim escaped, he told officers he called 911 from the block of Northwest 90th Avenue and West Sample Road to report the incident.
Officers contacted Denis inside the residence, near the agreed-upon meeting area where the incident occurred. She claimed the victim had pushed her to the ground and thrown her phone.
Denis vehemently denied any involvement with a knife and showed officers a minor one-inch scratch on the top of her left thumb.
With two stories and no confirmed account of the incident, officers were able to locate a neighbor who had observed the victim and Denis talking in front of a running vehicle inside the parking lot facing West Sample Road and confirmed the victim’s side of the story.
Based on the circumstances, Denis was arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and simple battery, both domestic violence-related charges.
She was subsequently transported to the Broward County Main Jail.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiple outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree and a Master’s Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- Crime & SafetyDecember 1, 2023Coral Springs Police Issue Urgent Warning In Response to Rising Check Theft
- Crime & SafetyNovember 30, 2023Man Caught on Surveillance Masturbating Outside Coral Springs Business Plaza
- EventsNovember 30, 2023Celebrate Chanukah with Family Fun in Coral Springs
- EventsNovember 30, 2023The Walk of Coral Springs Annual Toys for Tots Drive Part of Local 10’s Big Bus Toy Express