By Ryan Yousefi
A woman was arrested and charged with multiple crimes, including battery on a police officer and DUI, after striking a median with her vehicle and kicking and spitting at police officers on her way to jail.
On March 3, the Coral Springs Police Department received a 911 call reporting a reckless driver in a white Chevrolet Malibu had been in an accident near the 5700 block of Coral Ridge Drive.
According to the caller, the vehicle was said to be swerving heavily and had struck the center median. The caller also reported that the car was stopped in the middle of the road and had damage to the headlight.
According to the report, a responding officer located the vehicle and, upon contacting the driver, later identified as Tiffany Lashawn Gilchrist, 29, of Margate, suspected she was impaired.
The report stated Gilchrist was the vehicle’s sole occupant, and officers observed that she had the engine running at the time of the encounter.
The arrest report shows Gilchrist admitted to officers she had two cups of cognac liquor earlier in the day. Officers immediately detected the odor of an alcoholic beverage emanating from her breath, red, bloodshot, and watery eyes, and as unsteady on her feet and slurring her words.
According to police, Gilchrist failed multiple standardized field sobriety exercises and refused to obey specific commands.
The report shows Gilchrist was arrested for DUI, but while being taken into custody, he became combative and attempted to kick officers in his genitals. Once in the patrol car, the report says Gilchrist was able to maneuver out of her seatbelt and began violently thrashing and kicking the window/door of the vehicle.
According to the report, after transport to the Coral Springs Police Department for processing, Gilchrist allegedly spit bodily fluids/saliva on officers and thus was additionally charged with two counts of battery on a Law Enforcement Officer.
Gilchrist was later taken to the Broward Sheriff’s Office Main Jail.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here. Don’t miss reading Parkland Talk, Tamarac Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, and Margate Talk.
- Ryan Yousefi has lived in Coral Springs for over 30 years. He has worked as a writer for multiple outlets over the years, including the Miami New Times where he has covered sports and culture since 2013. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree and a Master’s Degree in Business Healthcare Management from Western Governors University.
- Crime & Safety2023.03.21Eat Mor Chikin’, Have Less Beef: Woman Arrested for Pulling Gun at Chick-fil-A Drive-Thru
- Eat2023.03.21Coral Springs Mediterranean Restaurant Faces 11 Health and Safety Violations Following State Inspection
- Crime & Safety2023.03.20Walmart Employee Takes ‘Rollback Prices’ Too Seriously, Charged with Grand Theft
- Eat2023.03.18Ocean One Grille Ordered Shut Down By State Inspectors After 14 Violations Discovered