By: Sharon Aron Baron
A Coral Springs man was killed and five others were injured an accident on the Sawgrass expressway early Sunday morning.
According to Florida Highway Patrol Sgt. Mark Wysocky, around 5:30 a.m., a vehicle driven by Oscar Roberto Acevedo, 28, of Miami was traveling northbound on SR-869 around the Oakland Park exit when he struck a Honda driven Edward Shaun Torres, 20, of Coral Springs. The Honda was traveling in the outside lane at a speed lower than posted due to following another vehicle traveling on a spare. The impact caused one of his four passengers, Samuel Anthony Ruiz Jr. 19, of Coral Springs to eject from the vehicle.
Ruiz was pronounced dead at the scene.
Other hospitalized passengers include: Douglas A. Turner, 19, Coral Springs; Leealan V. Reynolds, 20, Tamarac and Andrew P. Barraco, 19, Sunrise.
The roadway was closed for the investigation and reopened at 11:30 a.m. The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
Please stay posted for an update as this story may change as FHP gets more information.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.11.27Sawgrass Nature Center Holds 4th Annual Orchid Festival
- News2020.11.26City Distributes 350 Thanksgiving Turkeys to Coral Springs Residents in Need
- News2020.11.23Coral Springs Holiday Parade Becomes a Drive-Thru Experience
- News2020.11.20MLK Committee Hosts Inaugural Virtual Art Contest for K-12 Students