By: Sharon Aron Baron
New details have been released after a three-hour standoff with a heavily armed man resulting in police shooting him in the hand.
According to Coral Springs Police, on Monday they a call at 2:59 p.m. from a woman at the who said her father was “kind of passed out” barricaded inside of his room.
Upon their arrival at the 8300 block of NW 14 Court in the Countrywood Estates community, 71 year-old Richard Euler was inside of his bedroom and his stepson Brian Austin said that when he entered his father’s bedroom he saw him in a chair armed with a firearm with his finger on the trigger. He said he backed out of the room and told his sister to call police. He advised Coral Springs SWAT members that Euler had access to multiple firearms.
While Sgt. Derosa spoke to Euler adjacent to the bedroom, he said he wanted the police to go away. During this time, Sgt. Brad McKeone observed Euler stab the bedroom door multiple times, ultimately leaving the knife in the door with the blade sticking out through it. Several more attempts to talk Euler out of the room was met with negative results and yelling for the police to leave his home.
After some time, he fired one shot in an unknown direction. Officers believed that he had harmed himself. Within seconds he began yelling at officers again. He then fired a second shot from what was believed to be a shotgun in the direction of where the officers were posted inside of the home. McKeone observed a hole in the bedroom door in the direction of the police officers.
Contact was made with Euler via telephone and he repeatedly stated that he would not come out. He then walked to the bedroom window, pointed a silver colored handgun out of the window at an officer, at which time the officer fired back, shooting Euler in the hand.
It was after being shot that he said he was now leaving the bedroom and was soon taken into custody. He was treated on the scene by EMS personnel and transported to Broward Health North for further treatment. A shotgun and a silver semi automatic handgun were observed in plain view inside of the bedroom where Euler was held.
Euler had been charged with six counts of attempted murder and one count of aggravated assault with a firearm.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.205 Cases of Child Abuse Reported this Week in Coral Springs Crime
- News2020.09.19Vice Mayor Joy Carter Appointed to Serve on Florida League of Cities Legislative Policy Committee
- News2020.09.18Coral Springs Employer Awards Grants to 2 Minority-Owned Businesses
- News2020.09.17VIDEO: Coral Springs Police Respond to Alleged Rough Arrest Video