By Sharon Aron Baron
South Florida’s youth treble choir is adding a satellite rehearsal location in Coral Springs.
The Girl Choir of South Florida for singers ages six to 18 begins rehearsals on August 20, at St. Mary Magdalene Episcopal Church, at 1400 Riverside Drive.
Entering its 18th season, the Girl Choir continues to provide quality music instruction and performance opportunities for young singers.
“We wanted to offer an option for members from Coral Springs and surrounding cities that is closer to home for them,” said Sylvia Aycock, artistic and executive director.
Three new ensembles will rehearse on Monday evenings at the church. The Prelude Choir, for ages 6 to 10, will learn the foundations of singing and the fundamentals of music theory under the direction of Associate Director Lorrelle Jock, the chorus and orchestra director at Ramblewood Middle School. Jock was named Teacher of the Year for 2022. She directs the Primes Choir for the Girl Choir of South Florida.
The other two ensembles, the Melody Choir, for girls ages 9 to 13, and the Harmony Choir, for advanced singers 12 to 18, will be directed by Aycock, who has a long history with the organization as a student in its inaugural season in 2005, retiring as an associate director in 2017 with a bachelor’s of music education from Florida State University.
Each ensemble will perform one Mainstage concert and up to two local community events per semester. The Girl Choir has performed at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts and the Rose and Alfred Miniaci Performing Arts Center, in addition to Disney World and various choral festivals.
Ensembles have performed at Butterfly World, as well as Christmas on Las Olas, the Oakland Park Holiday Village, and Holidays at Vizcaya.
Open auditions will be held on Saturday, August 20, from 10 a.m. to noon and on Saturday, August 27, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Girl Choir headquarters at 319 Tarpon Drive in Fort Lauderdale.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2022.08.10TICKET ALERT: Newsboys “Stand Together” Tour Heads to Coral Springs
- Events2022.08.09Apply to Broward Center Teen Ambassador Program by Aug. 26
- Events2022.08.08Rising Rent? Coral Springs Launches New Program
- Events2022.08.07Temple Beth Orr in Coral Springs celebrates its 50th Anniversary with Events