By: Sharon Aron Baron
A local band is making music in honor of their friend Steven Hoyos who recently lost his life in a car crash in January.
Steven co-wrote the song, but tragically one week later the 17 year-old lost his life when the Nissan Sentra he was driving, which was stopped along an overpass on I-95 in Delray Beach was rear-ended by a pickup truck. Authorities said the car had front end damage and may have been disabled before it was hit. The driver of the truck was not charged.
“He was so young, you never expect these things to happen,” said his sister Katherine Aguirre who spoke to Coral Springs Talk from her home in Jacksonville. Aguirre said that her younger brother was a good brother who loved his mother and his father and played bass, drums and guitar. “He wanted to be a musician when he grew up,” she said.
In honor of Steven, friends Carl LaManto, Rylan Talerico, Chris Perez, Matthew Schneider finished and recorded their final work together. The song, called My Final Wave is the culmination of the band’s brief time together and is dedicated to Steven, their much loved bandmate.
Any and all proceeds from the sale of this song go directly to the Steven Hoyos Memorial Fund. This is a fund set up at Coral Springs High School in Coral Springs to help students with financial need pay for the fees required to participate in the band program. Each scholarship includes the entire fee charged for the band program.
Want to hear the song? Visit Treaty With Time You can donate any amount which will go to the Steven Hoyos Memorial Fund.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.10.23Trader Joe’s Sets Opening Date in Coral Springs
- News2020.10.22Early Voting Report for October 21 for Northwest Regional Library
- News2020.10.2112 Winners Announced for ‘The Importance of Voting’ Virtual Poster Contest
- News2020.10.20Student Volunteers Needed at Chabad of Coral Springs Free Food Distribution