By Jill Fox
A quote from a famous Broadway show graces the top of a GoFundMe page honoring local theater mentor Nadine Shapiro.
The 67-year-old founder of Coral Springs-based Broadway Bound has been battling breast cancer since 2021.
No longer able to work, Shapiro is resting comfortably at home, spending time with family, and receiving round-the-clock care.
Shapiro raised her family in Coral Springs. Her eldest daughter, Lauren Brogna, 40, now lives in Parkland with her family. According to Brogna, her mom was always into musical theater. With a degree in music, she discovered the need for a theater program while working in local schools. First as a hobby, Broadway Bound later became a business in 2003.
“It just took off,” said Brogna. “My mom has something special when it comes to kids – she makes them feel seen and important and loved. As a mom, I know now how impactful that is.”
Brogna, who was involved with Broadway Bound when she was younger, is now mom to a child in the program – Jacob, 8. Stepdaughters Emma, 18, and Ava, 15, along with her husband, Eric, also help out from time to time. She and her siblings, Lindsay and Greg, manage their mother’s care but say the Broadway Bound family has been unbelievable.
“We have such an incredible staff taking the reins and carrying on the way I know my mom would want them to.”
Friends are looking to the community for help with the costs of managing Shapiro’s treatment, which is not entirely covered by insurance. The GoFundMe page has already raised over $35,000 to assist the family, but every little bit helps.
“We are overwhelmed and appreciative of all of the support,” said Brogna, who added the amount of letters and notes she has received from parents and students is incredible.
“I know how special my mom is, but when so many people reach out sharing their amazing stories, it brings tears to my eyes every time.”
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2022.10.01Sold-Out Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2022.09.22Just Between Friends Consignment Event Returns October 6-9 in Coral Springs
- News2022.09.21Pets of the Week: Riley and Butterball Are Ready for Adoption
- Events2022.09.19TICKET ALERT: The Hip Hop Nutcracker Celebrates its 10th Season at the Coral Springs Center for the Arts