By: Sharon Aron Baron
Mayor Barbara Sharief is channeling her passion for the local arts community by issuing the first student art contest to recognize talents of Broward County’s youth.
Students in grades 9-12 who attend public, private or home school and live in the county are eligible to submit work for the Mayor’s Art Challenge.
- Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
- Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal (It is recommended that charcoal and pastel drawings be fixed.)
- Collages: must be two-dimensional
- Prints: lithographs, silkscreen, block prints
- Mixed Media: use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.
- Computer-generated art
Students will need to submit their application with digital images of the artwork (up to two entries), a parental release form and indicate their county commission district. For instance, if they live in Parkland or Coral Springs, then their district is 3. The deadline for all submissions is August 28, 2017.?
Mayor Sharief and all Broward County Commissioners will select one first place winner and one runner up from each of the nine districts in the county. Winners will be notified in early September. The winning artworks will be auctioned off at the Mayor’s Gala on October 21 and proceeds raised will directly benefit the United Way. Winning artists will be recognized at a county commission meeting hosted by the Mayor.
For more details and application visit the website.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.07.12Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event