By: Sharon Aron Baron
Residents who have created the garden of their dreams may want to apply to Broward County’s annual NatureScape Emerald Awards.
NatureScapes are Florida-Friendly landscapes that provide habitat for native and migratory wildlife, conserve water and minimize the use of common pollutants such as fertilizers and pesticides.
These “islands of green” link together to make a chain of healthy corridors in our urban environment.
The awards recognize businesses, municipalities, schools, government facilities, homeowners, and landscape architects who have created and maintained model Florida-friendly landscapes or completed exceptional projects that demonstrate visible ecological practices and are welcome to apply.
This year, NatureScape is offering a legacy award for maintaining a sustainable landscape for five years or more as well as a new category for landscape architects, architectural design firms, and landscape designers to submit projects that incorporate UF/IFAS Florida yards and neighborhoods Florida-Friendly principles for single-family residences, multi-family, new construction, large properties, existing communities. To qualify, the project must be recognized by the UF/IFAS FYN program and NWF Garden for Wildlife. Judges will award landscapes that exceed 50 percent native plant requirement extra points.
The winners will receive their awards and trophies at a special ceremony during the Annual Water Matters Day, March 14, 2020.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.01.15Mayors’ Chess Challenge Heads Back to Coral Springs January 18
- News2020.01.144th Annual ‘Yoga For Life’ in Coral Springs Supports Local Nonprofits
- News2020.01.12Crime Update from Coral Springs Police: Latest Incidents Through January 7
- News2020.01.12Coral Springs’ Zeta Phi Beta Chapter Accepting Nominations for ‘Community Leader of the Year’ Awards