By: Sharon Aron Baron
Residents who have created the garden of their dreams may want to apply to Broward County’s annual NatureScape Emerald Awards.
NatureScapes are Florida-Friendly landscapes that provide habitat for native and migratory wildlife, conserve water and minimize the use of common pollutants such as fertilizers and pesticides.
These “islands of green” link together to make a chain of healthy corridors in our urban environment.
The awards recognize businesses, municipalities, schools, government facilities, homeowners, and landscape architects who have created and maintained model Florida-friendly landscapes or completed exceptional projects that demonstrate visible ecological practices and are welcome to apply.
This year, NatureScape is offering a legacy award for maintaining a sustainable landscape for five years or more as well as a new category for landscape architects, architectural design firms, and landscape designers to submit projects that incorporate UF/IFAS Florida yards and neighborhoods Florida-Friendly principles for single-family residences, multi-family, new construction, large properties, existing communities. To qualify, the project must be recognized by the UF/IFAS FYN program and NWF Garden for Wildlife. Judges will award landscapes that exceed 50 percent native plant requirement extra points.
The winners will receive their awards and trophies at a special ceremony during the Annual Water Matters Day, March 14, 2020.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.205 Cases of Child Abuse Reported this Week in Coral Springs Crime
- News2020.09.19Vice Mayor Joy Carter Appointed to Serve on Florida League of Cities Legislative Policy Committee
- News2020.09.18Coral Springs Employer Awards Grants to 2 Minority-Owned Businesses
- News2020.09.17VIDEO: Coral Springs Police Respond to Alleged Rough Arrest Video