By: Sharon Aron Baron
Chicago Cubs player and MLB All-Star Anthony Rizzo will be holding his Fourth Annual Walk Off for Cancer 5k on November 15, in Parkland.
Rizzo, who is from Parkland, holds this annual charity walk to raise money for his foundation, The Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation and in 2014 raised over $140,000. Their mission is to raise money for cancer research and to provide support to children and their families battling the disease.
Rizzo knows firsthand what individuals and families dealing with cancer go through. Back in 2008, at the age of 18, Anthony Rizzo was beginning his career as a professional baseball player in Greenville, SC when his life came to an abrupt halt. He was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and had to go through six months of chemotherapy.
This was a tough time for his family as his grandmother was also battling breast cancer at the same time.
Rizzo believed that no matter how difficult fighting cancer was, it was even more difficult for his family.
With the help of his family, friends, and The Boston Red Sox Organization, on September 2, 2008, his doctor gave him the great news; that he was in remission.
Rizzo still had six weeks left of treatment and follow up testing, but finally, on November 18, 2008, his doctor told him that he could live a normal life. At that point, he said he knew that he wanted to become a role model to help cancer patients and their families.
In 2012, The Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation began. It is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization benefiting cancer research and the families fighting the disease.
The Fourth Annual Walk Off for Cancer 5k will take place Nov. 15 at Pine Trails Park located at 10555 Trails End, Parkland, Florida.
To register or sponsor the event, go to the Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.05.17Official 2021/22 Broward County Public Schools Color Calendar
- News2021.05.17Chabad of Coral Springs Holds Free Food Distribution May 19, Volunteers Needed
- News2021.05.16Winner of Coral Springs Talk Cover Photo Contest Announced
- News2021.05.14City of Coral Springs Honors Nurses and Volunteers from COVID19 Vaccine Site