By Sharon Aron Baron
The City of Coral Springs is launching an in-depth series called ‘Conversations with a Commissioner’ following several meetings held with Commissioner Joshua Simmons, community leaders, and police personnel.
Starting on Wednesday, August 12, Commissioner Simmons, the first African American to be elected to serve on the City Commission, wanted to promote open dialogue, develop solutions, and address community concerns about policing in America and in the City of Coral Springs.
“As a Black man, and an elected member of the Coral Springs Commission, I have always spoken openly and honestly about racism and the treatment of Black and Brown people in America,” said Simmons. I recognize the importance of not only talking about these issues but the need to create real solutions while promoting a better understanding of how persons of color perceive our criminal justice system.”
Chief Parry, who firmly believes we have more in common than differences said, he is incredibly proud to serve in the law enforcement profession, especially as the Police Chief for the City of Coral Springs.
But, as with any profession, Chief Parry said one must always seek ways to improve and grow. To accomplish that, we must listen and validate the experiences and beliefs of others.
“Our meetings with Commissioner Simmons and community leaders, which led to this series, have been beneficial in bridging that gap,” he said.
The four-part series opens with a wide-ranging conversation with Chief Clyde Parry, where they discuss police policies, training, diversity in law enforcement, inclusivity, civil unrest, and how they must create a path forward.
The weekly series features additional conversations with members of the Coral Springs Police Department including, Sergeant A.J. King, Lt. Edmond DeRosa, and Sgt. Francis Capre. They cover important issues like mental health, training, community policing, and their personal experiences.
The first episode can be viewed on the City of Coral Springs YouTube Channel Wed at 7 pm.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.11.30New Covid-19 Testing Site in Coral Springs Offers 2 Types of Detection
- News2020.11.29Broward County Public Schools Awarded Grants to Broaden Participation in Computer Science
- News2020.11.29Popular ‘Bethlehem Revisited’ Event Canceled Due to Covid-19
- News2020.11.28Chabad of Coral Springs Holds Free Food Distribution December 1