By: Sharon Aron Baron
In a 5-0 vote, the commission moved forward to permit several dozen more mattress stores in the city fulfilling a growing demand.
Mayor Skip Campbell, who sponsored the agenda item, told the commission last Wednesday that he had received multiple requests from residents demanding more mattress retailers in the city. “Many people do not realize that Coral Springs is the number one city in the country in its size for mattress sales. It’s up to us to allow these retailers, if they choose, to make their home in our city.”
Ricardo Dormir Distributor of United Mattress & Bedding praised the city. He said that even though Coral Springs has over 50 mattress stores, it still isn’t enough to satisfy the demand.
“The latest guidelines are every two to three years,” said Dormir. “That is why there is such a great demand and the City of Coral Springs will benefit from having so many choices to offer the residents.”
Dormir said he has a waiting list of mattress retailers waiting for lease approvals all over the city, but were waiting until the mayor’s agenda item passed.
Commissioner Joy Carter who made the motion to move forward said that as a real estate agent, one of the first questions new home buyers ask her is where can they buy a mattress. “Now, there will be a location practically on every corner to send them.”
But not everyone was happy with the vote. Maryann MacDonald who lives off of Ramblewood Drive thought there were too many mattress stores already in the city. “This is crazy, I already have 12 mattress stores near my street alone. Is this some sort of joke?”
“Well, they don’t say Coral Springs is a bedroom community for nothing,” said Vice Mayor Dan Daley who said he was looking forward in buying his dogs Molly and Zoey their very own mattresses soon.”
Happy April Fool’s Day.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.05.05Mullins Hall COVID-19 Test Site to Close in Coral Springs
- Events2021.05.04Tickets Go on Sale for Cirque Musica Holiday Spectacular
- News2021.05.04Volunteers Show Their Appreciation for Teachers at 22 Coral Springs Schools
- Events2021.05.03Coral Springs Honors Heroes in Special Memorial Day Service