By: Sharon Aron Baron
The City of Coral Springs Commission will formally recognize two historic achievements in their fire service; their Emmy-winning video, then the swearing-in of their new fire chief at their next city commission meeting.
In December, we broke the news of the Emmy Award win for “Our Story,” the Coral Springs-Parkland Fire Department’s video documentary about the cancer epidemic in the fire service.
After Paul Pietrafesa, a driver for Coral Springs-Parkland Fire Department was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, his wife Karen said she was glad he and their family had done everything they always wanted to do, and that they had lived every day like it was their last.
“Cancer doesn’t discriminate. It’s not a race, a male, or a female that’s going to get it more. It’s going to impact everybody,” said Karen in the video.
“Our Story exemplifies the passion of Captain Chris Bator, to improve the health and well-being of first responders not only locally, but nationally,” said City Manager Frank Babinec, adding, that his efforts, along with the participation of department members, and the creativity of our Senior Videographer, Ryan Himmel, led to a powerful piece that is changing how others approach the cancer epidemic in the fire industry.”
After the Emmy recognition, Michael McNally, joined by his family, will be officially sworn in by retired Fire Chief and Coral Springs new City Manager, Frank Babinec.
Chief, Babinec said, “I have great confidence in his leadership and experience, I know Chief McNally will do an outstanding job leading the Coral Springs-Parkland Fire Department.”
The public is welcome to attend Wednesday, February 5, 2020, at 9:00 a.m. in the Commission Chambers (9500 W. Sample Road).
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.23Video: Patient at Broward Health Coral Springs Celebrates 101st Birthday
- News2020.09.23Sawgrass Nature Center Raising Funds for Environmental Education Project for Title 1 Schools
- News2020.09.23Clear Space by Safety Disposing Hazardous Waste October 3
- News2020.09.22Coral Springs Museum of Art Features the Smithsonian’s ‘100 Faces of War’