By: Sharon Aron Baron
With the approval of Amendment Two on November 8, the City of Coral Springs put a 180-day moratorium on local businesses and land use approvals for medical marijuana dispensing organizations and treatment centers.
At last Wednesday’s meeting, City Attorney John Hearn told the commission, “As you know this law just recently passed…that medical marijuana will be allowed. There are no rules and regulations established yet by the State. They expect that process to be done and implemented in September. So we will be monitoring the rules and regulations as they move forward.”
Commissioner Vignola made a motion to move forward seconded by Commissioner Cimaglia. Mayor Campbell, Vice Mayor Daley and Commissioner Carter agreed.
Amendment 2, which passed with 71 percent of all Florida voters would allow licensed physicians to certify patients for medical marijuana use after diagnosing them debilitating medical conditions including: cancer, epilepsy, glaucoma, HIV/AIDS, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Crohn’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and multiple sclerosis.
According to the bill, The patient must suffer from cancer or a physical medical condition that chronically produces symptoms of seizures, or severe and persistent muscle spasms; or symptoms of the same. It also states that other treatments must have been tried without success.
Deerfield Beach, Pompano Beach and Hallandale Beach have also temporarily banned marijuana dispensaries and treatment centers, according to the Sun Sentinel.
“We anticipate we will be regulating this to make sure there’s not a proliferation in any one area of the city and also that there are certain distance requirements from schools and other things we look at as we go forward,” said Hearn.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.11.26Donations Needed for United Way’s ‘Adopt-a-Family’ Annual Gift Drive
- Events2021.11.23Save 25 Percent Off Shows: Cyber Monday Shopping Starts Early at the Center for the Arts
- Events2021.11.22Hasidic Pop Singer Yossi Rodal Performs Concert at Annual Menorah Lighting in Coral Springs
- Events2021.11.22Registration Now Open for Winter Camp in Coral Springs