By: Sharon Aron Baron
Coral Springs City Commissioner Joy Carter was selected by the Good Government Initiative Leaders of Excellence program for their class of 2015.
Founded by former Miami-Dade County Commissioner Katy Sorenson, the program is designed to work with elected officials in South Florida to further develop the skills they need to be effective officeholders. The Leaders of Excellence curriculum focuses on topics such as ethics, budget and finance, media relations, economic development, working with constituents, land use and more.
Classes will begin at the end of August and go through mid-November and will be hosted in a variety of venues throughout the region.
“I am looking forward to expanding my knowledge base in order to better serve our residents’ needs,” said Carter.
The 2015 class is comprised of 17 elected officials including two school board members and municipal officials from Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties.
“Our goal was to assemble a class that would add to our cohort of active, engaged leaders from South Florida who are eager to work with others and to develop knowledge and skills in governance. They represent the future of leadership in South Florida,” Sorenson said.
Former Miami-Dade Commissioner Katy Sorenson founded the Good Government Initiative (GGI) at the University of Miami in 2010. After 16 years of service as a County Commissioner representing District 8, Sorenson launched GGI which offers programs for elected officials, candidates, and citizens throughout the year. Sorenson created the Leaders of Excellence program for elected officials, and works to promote excellence and integrity in South Florida government.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.10.25Latest Crime Update for Coral Springs Through October 20
- News2020.10.23Trader Joe’s Sets Opening Date in Coral Springs
- News2020.10.22Early Voting Report for October 21 for Northwest Regional Library
- News2020.10.2112 Winners Announced for ‘The Importance of Voting’ Virtual Poster Contest