By: Sharon Aron Baron
City Commissioner and mayoral candidate Tom Powers released a video to educate the public about the new municipal complex that is being proposed for the city.
Powers, who was elected in 2008 told the Sun Sentinel last week that the city did the right thing by deciding to fund the construction of the proposed municipal complex using revenue bonds.
“My opponent says we should have funded the project using general obligation bonds,” Powers said. “That would have meant a tax increase for our residents; does he want that? We have the financing in place to ensure that we can build the municipal complex without raising taxes. We have the revenue stream to pay for it.”
His video takes a tour of the new downtown area in the corridor of University Drive and Sample Road and he discusses the reasons why the new city hall is needed.
From his website:
“I am announcing an exciting new feature of my website entitled “On The Record”. In this section you will find an evolving collection of short videos covering topics of importance to the citizens and voters of Coral Springs. I believe in fully transparent government and I will always tell you the truth behind the meetings and decisions that affect our city. This is about facts, not opinions and it is vitally important that you understand how the entire commission as a team of five reaches decisions as compared to relying on opinions that you may hear or read. I encourage you to watch these videos and form your own conclusions. If you are left with any questions whatsoever, please reach out to me personally for clarification. I have always been and always will remain available via my personal mobile phone or other means to speak to any resident of our great city.”
Powers is running against Walter “Skip” Campbell for the mayor’s seat.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.19Vice Mayor Joy Carter Appointed to Serve on Florida League of Cities Legislative Policy Committee
- News2020.09.18Coral Springs Employer Awards Grants to 2 Minority-Owned Businesses
- News2020.09.17VIDEO: Coral Springs Police Respond to Alleged Rough Arrest Video
- News2020.09.14City of Coral Springs Hosts Plasma and Blood Drive