By Matt Rothman
Florida State University School is celebrating a historic achievement in cheerleading thanks to the hard work and leadership of one of its own coaches, Ilana Stein.
The 2018 Coral Glades graduate and daughter of its Assistant Principal Michele Stein and late J.P. Taravella Athletic Director Jason Stein, has led her team to a fourth-place finish in the State Championship.
Ilana’s passion for cheerleading started early, having cheered for four years with both J.P. Taravella and Coral Glades, where she won a pair of Regional and State Championships.
Her coaching career began with Alison Madej and the Coral Springs Chargers before pursuing a bachelor’s degree in English Education at Florida State University. She is now in graduate school studying for her master’s.
Ilana’s dedication and talent in coaching have not gone unnoticed. Madej, who worked with Ilana in the past, said, “She has done an amazing job of bringing her talent and love of the sport to FHS. I am so proud of everything she has accomplished over the last few years, not only while she pursues her higher education, but has brought a team that struggled last year to fourth place in the state.”
This fourth-place finish is one of the highest FHS has ever placed in its history, with Ilana’s team qualifying for Nationals after a strong performance in the UCA Regionals and FHSAA Regionals. Ilana’s connection to her alma mater, Coral Glades, remains strong as she proudly watches the cheerleading program continue to excel.
“CGHS cheer has always been a breeding ground for champions,” Ilana said. “This season is absolutely nothing different. It’s an incredible feeling to come back to states as [an] alumni and watch my alma mater kill it. I am so proud of that program for upkeeping a legacy that my friends and I helped build years ago.”
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here. Don’t miss reading Parkland Talk, Tamarac Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, and Margate Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.19Coral Springs High School Girls Lacrosse Win 1st Game Since 2021 on Senior Night
- News2023.03.196 Coral Springs Track and Field Athletes Win BCAA Championships
- News2023.03.18Coral Springs Charter Boys and Girls Tennis Defeat Cardinal Gibbons
- News2023.03.17Coral Springs High School Varsity Baseball Wins 4th Game; JV Team Records 3rd Win