By: Sharon Aron Baron
Last November, rumors swirled about the closing of Barnes & Noble in Coral Springs; however, their property management company says it’s only temporary.
Gillian Johnson, marketing director with Amera Properties said the store would close at the end of February to allow for the remodeling and reduction of their space to match the prototype of their new stores.
Their current 27,000 sq. ft. space will be divided between Barnes & Noble and another tenant, who she cannot name at this time as the lease is being finalized.
“The expectation is that they will reopen six months later,” she said.
Former Chief Executive Demos Parneros said in 2017 that their goal was to get smaller, and they wanted stores that are more efficient.
As for the future of Barnes & Noble stores, Parneros said different-format stores would be instructive in how the chain opens new locations or remodels old ones. A store in the Dallas suburb of Plano was only 10,000 sq. ft. in size, compared to about 26,000 sq. ft. on average, as well as another one in Ashburn, Virginia.
In 2018, Barnes & Noble announced they would open five new stores in 2019, focusing on books, and include a café as well as a curated assortment of nonbook items. The new stores would be about 14,000 sq. ft., making them roughly 12,000 sq. ft. smaller than the chain’s typical stores.
Barnes & Noble has been at 2790 N University Dr, at The Walk for over 20 years. They are currently having a 30 percent sale off on all holiday and bargain items.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.01.19Girl Scouts Receive Funding from Coral Springs Community Chest
- News2021.01.19Coral Springs Police School Resource Officer Arrested for Solicitation of a Minor
- News2021.01.1916th Annual Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Rescheduled
- News2021.01.19Deadline to Nominate a Coral Springs Resident for Black History Month is Jan 26