By Jill Fox
As the owner of Superior Signs and Prints in Pompano Beach, Coral Springs resident Kris Lim makes custom items for large franchises, such as Orange Theory Fitness.
Normally, Kris would be busy manufacturing and distributing commercially all over the world, but he’s currently using his resources to make medical devices for emergency room doctors.
“My team and I wanted to do something to give back,” said Kris, “We have all of these tools at our fingertips, and we’re creative, and we can figure things out.”
A resident of Coral Springs for over 30 years, Kris lives in Whispering Woods with his wife, Beth, and two young sons. He also has immediate family members on the frontlines treating COVID-19 patients.
His father, Dr. George T. Lim Jr., has practiced internal medicine at Nob Hill Medical Center in Tamarac since the mid-nineties, and his sister, Dr. Katryna Lim practices alongside him.
As healthcare providers in the community, they were strategic in helping Kris come up with ways to help the medical industry.
“At first, we wanted to do face shields, but raw materials were hard to come by because everyone was trying to make them,” he said.
Kris’ brother-in-law, Dr. Eric Knott was persuing his fellowship in critical care at Jackson Memorial Hospital and gave Kris some advice. He said manufacturing an acrylic box could potentially help with intubations with ventilators because everyone was worried about personal protective equipment (PPE).
Kris scoured the internet researching the acrylic boxes and made a prototype for Dr. Knott to show others in the intensive care unit.
Kris’ father also brought the box to Dr. Greenberg at University Hospital in Tamarac, who was thrilled with the prototype and asked for five more.
After Kris posted images of the acrylic boxes online, hospitals would inquire about them — and has since continued to donate those as well as other vinyl social distancing decals he has also manufactured.
“Giving back is something I love doing when I am able to,” he said, “If you have the means and you are in a good position, then you need to help everybody else.”
Got News? Send it to the #1 News Source in Coral Springs
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2021.10.18Coral Springs Coconut Creek Chamber Hosts Heroes & Heroines Gala
- News2021.10.13Register Today for the Drive-Thru Pumpkin Patch Lane at Broward Health Coral Springs
- News2021.10.09MSD Eagles Baseball Program Launches New ‘Field For Dreams’ Campaign
- News2021.10.08Register Now for the Annual Drive-Thru Pumpkin Patch Lane at Broward Health Coral Springs