By Jill Fox
As the owner of Superior Signs and Prints in Pompano Beach, Coral Springs resident Kris Lim makes custom items for large franchises, such as Orange Theory Fitness.
Normally, Kris would be busy manufacturing and distributing commercially all over the world, but he’s currently using his resources to make medical devices for emergency room doctors.
“My team and I wanted to do something to give back,” said Kris, “We have all of these tools at our fingertips, and we’re creative, and we can figure things out.”
A resident of Coral Springs for over 30 years, Kris lives in Whispering Woods with his wife, Beth, and two young sons. He also has immediate family members on the frontlines treating COVID-19 patients.
His father, Dr. George T. Lim Jr., has practiced internal medicine at Nob Hill Medical Center in Tamarac since the mid-nineties, and his sister, Dr. Katryna Lim practices alongside him.
As healthcare providers in the community, they were strategic in helping Kris come up with ways to help the medical industry.
“At first, we wanted to do face shields, but raw materials were hard to come by because everyone was trying to make them,” he said.
Kris’ brother-in-law, Dr. Eric Knott was persuing his fellowship in critical care at Jackson Memorial Hospital and gave Kris some advice. He said manufacturing an acrylic box could potentially help with intubations with ventilators because everyone was worried about personal protective equipment (PPE).
Kris scoured the internet researching the acrylic boxes and made a prototype for Dr. Knott to show others in the intensive care unit.
Kris’ father also brought the box to Dr. Greenberg at University Hospital in Tamarac, who was thrilled with the prototype and asked for five more.
After Kris posted images of the acrylic boxes online, hospitals would inquire about them — and has since continued to donate those as well as other vinyl social distancing decals he has also manufactured.
“Giving back is something I love doing when I am able to,” he said, “If you have the means and you are in a good position, then you need to help everybody else.”
Got News? Send it to the #1 News Source in Coral Springs
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 6.
- News2020.09.21Coral Springs Travel Club Plans High School Trip to Japan in 2022
- News2020.09.1713 Coral Springs Schools Make the Grade for Community Engagement in Education
- News2020.09.15Donate Your Plasma Now to Help Save a Life
- News2020.09.03Paragon Theaters in Coral Springs Now Open: Health and Safety a Top Priority