By: Matt Rothman
Coral Springs High School boy’s basketball stunned Monarch High School with a 63-46 on the road Monday night to move into the District Semifinals.
The Colts, who came into the game with a 5-18 record, played well on both sides of the ball despite being tied at halftime. Coral Springs then took a four-point lead into the fourth quarter and outscored Monarch 22-9 to earn the 17-point win.
“We pulled it out, and we are looking forward to another challenge tomorrow,” said Head Coach Jarrett Williams. “I think our seniors didn’t want to go home, and they carried us to a victory.”
Artie Rashford led the team with 22 points, and Kerns Monvilus added 13 points in the win.
It was an extremely rough start of the year for Coral Springs, but they have played their basketball of late. They had a huge win over Plantation High School late in the season and played extremely well in their loss at Western High School in their highest-scoring game of the year.
Up next, they will play the top-seeded Deerfield Beach High School on Tuesday, February 11, at 6 p.m., hoping to make the District Finals. These teams met earlier this season, with the Colts losing by one point at home.
This game will be played at Monarch High School, who is hosting the tournament this season with Marjory Stoneman Douglas and J.P. Taravella in the other semifinals at 4:30 p.m.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2020.03.11Coral Springs Charter Softball Respond to Loss with 7-1 Win
- News2020.03.10Boccagno Becomes Latest Coral Springs Charter Graduate to Homer in College
- News2020.03.10Coral Springs Charter School Wrestling Team Sends 4 to States
- News2020.03.09Freshman Sensation Isa Vega Throws Perfect Game for Coral Glades Softball