By: Jill Fox
A local publisher has launched a new collection of flash fiction, poetry, personal essays, and short stories about the many faces of gun violence.
Swallow Publishing owner, Jennifer Russon, and staff writer for Talk Media edited the collection. Her anthology Humans in the Wild: Reactions to a Gun-Loving Country is a commentary on how people grapple with tens of thousands of gun violence deaths recorded annually in the United States.
Russon said that cutting it down to just 30 contributors was extremely tough after receiving hundreds of submissions from all over the world.
“So many points of view are represented in this book. It’s not just teachers writing about active shooter drills. You’ll also hear from disgruntled parents, hunters, former military, and people on the street,” she said.
Russon added what a pleasure it was to edit and write the forward for Humans in the Wild.
She said it was also surprising to put together a collection that is most certainly not an indictment on guns.
“Instead, I learned how much people love their guns — how seductive they can be. For some, guns are a way to take back control in a frenzied society that feels like you’re a frog in a boiling pot of water,” she said.
Russon doesn’t think readers should feel bad about laughing over some of the collection’s wry and sarcastic stories.
“‘Thoughts and Prayers’ and ‘Guns Don’t Kill People Fast Enough’ were so tongue-in-cheek, those are my favorites,” she said.
Humans in the Wild is the second title launched this year from Swallow Publishing. Their first book, a food memoir, was released in May 2020.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- Events2021.11.02Coral Springs Fitness Coach Holds Next Soldier Rush Obstacle Course Nov. 6
- News2021.10.18Coral Springs Coconut Creek Chamber Hosts Heroes & Heroines Gala
- News2021.10.13Register Today for the Drive-Thru Pumpkin Patch Lane at Broward Health Coral Springs
- News2021.10.09MSD Eagles Baseball Program Launches New ‘Field For Dreams’ Campaign