Youth For Understanding looks for students who are flexible, have a spirit of adventure, and who will enjoy the challenge of adapting to new people in a new culture. They are a non-profit international educational organization with programs in 64 countries. Since 1951, it is one of the world’s oldest, largest, and most respected exchange organizations.
Through the generosity of numerous corporations, governments, foundations, and individuals, students have the chance to win a full or partial scholarship to live overseas as a YFU exchange student.
YFU is currently looking for Coral Springs and Parkland High School students to apply for a YFU scholarship. You may attend a Private, Magnet, Charter, or any Broward County School to apply. You must also meet the eligibility requirements listed on the individual scholarship pages for the program to which you are applying.
Generally, applicants must be between the ages of 15 and 18, maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA for a year or semester program or 2.0 GPA for a summer program, and be in good health. You will also need to complete some additional paperwork, have a medical exam, submit photos, and be interviewed by a YFU volunteer. For most YFU countries, you don’t need to know the language, although some countries do require previous language study.
YFU uses all its resources to provide you with the best international exchange experience available. Scholarships include all the benefits of a YFU program. Here is what the scholarship includes:
- professional orientation programs and materials;
- all of your group international air travel costs and assistance from YFU travel staff at international gateway airports;
- domestic air travel costs from a YFU-designated airport*;
- local and regional trips and educational activities while you’re overseas (where noted);
- placement with a carefully screened YFU host family;
- support through counseling, tutoring, and other means;
- training for volunteers who provide professional, individual support for you and your host family;
- 24-hour worldwide professional emergency assistance;
- enrollment in school if your scholarship is for a year or semester program;
- assistance in acquiring your visa or residence permit if required;
- this web site and the 1-800-TEENAGE line staffed with friendly and knowledgeable Admissions Counselors to answer all of your questions.
Visit www.YFU-USA.com for more information on scholarships. Hurry soon as most applications must be processed in January.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.17VIDEO: Coral Springs Police Respond to Alleged Rough Arrest Video
- News2020.09.14City of Coral Springs Hosts Plasma and Blood Drive
- News2020.09.14Service Hours Offered for Students at Chabad of Coral Springs Free Food Distribution
- News2020.09.13Battery, Burglary, and Baker Acts, Reported by Coral Springs Police