Thanksgiving is right around the corner and with it comes the inevitable turkey fires from those popular turkey fryers. These fryers are readily available, inexpensive but can be unsafe, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and Underwriters Laboratories (UL). The NFPA discourages the use of turkey fryers except by properly trained professionals using professional-grade equipment.
Consumer-grade turkey fryers use a substantial quantity of cooking oil at high temperatures and pose a significant danger. Additionally, the oil remains hot for hours after the unit is turned off.
The use of turkey fryers by consumers can lead to devastating burns, other injuries and the destruction of property. The Broward Sheriff’s Office Fire Marshal’s Bureau echoes the NFPA suggestion that those who prefer deep-fried turkey simply purchase one prepared from a grocer, food retailer or restaurant that prepares them using professional equipment.
“Thanksgiving is the top day for cooking fires to happen, so it is important to keep safety in mind,” Broward Sheriff Fire Marshal Robert Arrighetti said.
According to a recent report published by the U. S. Fire Administration, an estimated 2,000 Thanksgiving Day fires in residential buildings occur annually in the U. S., resulting in an estimated average of five deaths, 25 injuries and $21 million in property losses.
By far, the leading cause of Thanksgiving Day fires in residential buildings is cooking. These fires occur most frequently between noon and 4 p.m. UL does not certify any of these appliances with their UL mark. A similar outdoor unit is now available that does not use oil and should be considered as an alternative to the oil-containing fryers.
So with that, please enjoy your Thanksgiving and roast your turkey the old fashioned way….in the oven.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.07.12Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event