By Kevin Deutsch
A Coral Springs man struck and killed a woman crossing the street in Pompano Beach Saturday, authorities said.
Broward Sheriff’s Office traffic homicide detectives are investigating the fatal crash at 11:47 p.m. as Denfield Gilead, 51, of Coral Springs, drove his 2007 Ford Edge west in the center lane on Sample Road, near Military Trail, deputies said.
At that time, two pedestrians were crossing Sample Road, heading south at or near the crosswalk, according to BSO.
As Gilead drove through the intersection, he swerved to avoid one pedestrian, Jose Guerrero, 36, and, subsequently struck the second pedestrian, Robyn Hallow, 38, of Greystone Drive in Boca Raton, deputies said.
Gilead stopped his vehicle, remained on scene, and cooperated with the investigation, deputies said.
Pompano Beach Fire Rescue rushed Hallow to a nearby hospital, where she was pronounced dead, according to BSO. Gilead and Guerrero were not injured.
Deputies said that neither excessive speed nor impairment is currently considered factors in the crash. BSO’s investigation is ongoing.
Send to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- Crime & Safety2022.05.212 Adults and Infant Killed in Coral Springs Crime Spree
- Crime & Safety2022.05.19“A Growing Threat”: Rep. Deutch Applauds Passage of Resolution Condemning Rising Antisemitism
- News2022.05.16COVID Infection Totals Rising In Broward Schools
- Eat2022.05.14Coral Springs Restaurants Suffer Revenue Losses Amid Gas Outage