By: Sharon Aron Baron
The FBI is looking for a few good men and women to apply to become new Special Agents here in the South Florida area.
Think you have what it takes?
Until April 30, they are accepting new applications for agent recruits, and while many will apply, hundreds will be denied. For instance, in 2010 they received over 50,000 applications for approximately 900 Special Agent vacancies.
That’s less than a 1 percent acceptance rate.
Here are some of the requirements:
- Must be U.S. citizen
- Between 23 and 36.5 years of age (unless you are an 1811 federal law enforcement officer or are a preference-eligible veteran requesting an age waiver) to achieve 20 years of service prior to mandatory retirement at age 57
- Possess a bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by one of the regional or national institutional associations recognized by the United States Secretary of Education
- Have at least three years of full-time work experience – not including summer jobs or internships.
Certain specified experiences and/or abilities waive the three year full-time work experience requirement:
- Applicants with a degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, and/or a Juris Doctorate (J.D.)
Certified Public Accountants (CPAs)
- Fluent foreign language speakers with the ability to attain a three (3) or higher on an FBI Language Test
- Former FBI Honors Interns with a 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA
- Applicants with advanced degrees (master’s and/or doctorates) require two (2) years of full-time work experience
Applicants must also pass a physical fitness test – so no couch potatoes. You have to be in top shape.
Don’t bother applying if you have:
- Been convicted of a felony
- Been convicted of a domestic violence misdemeanor or more serious offense
- Knowingly or willfully engaged in acts or activities designed to overthrow the U.S. government by force
- Failed to pay court ordered child support
- Failed to meet the FBI’s drug use guidelines
- Defaulted on a federally funded student loan
- Failed to file federal, state, or local income tax returns
Although you may be eligible to apply, only those applicants deemed “most competitive” will move forward in the process.
Are you ready to apply? Then Apply Now and best of luck.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.10.25Latest Crime Update for Coral Springs Through October 20
- News2020.10.23Trader Joe’s Sets Opening Date in Coral Springs
- News2020.10.22Early Voting Report for October 21 for Northwest Regional Library
- News2020.10.2112 Winners Announced for ‘The Importance of Voting’ Virtual Poster Contest