By: Jen Russon
At sea, the first watch refers to the very first shift of the day, but when it comes to breakfast and brunch on land, First Watch is a nationwide chain known for its juice bar, made to order pancakes, rainbow toast and bottomless pots of Project Sunrise coffee.
In February of 2020, Coral Springs joins the fray in offering early-risers a choice between a healthy or indulgent breakfast and brunch menu. The new location is set to open at the renovated 17 Fifty shopping plaza at 1750 N. University Drive.
Since the opening is still a few months out, First Watch Spokesperson Eleni Kouvatsos hesitates sharing an exact date, as construction, permitting, and other factors can shift it; however, the grand opening is imminent.
“We’ll have a new menu full of signature craft cocktails made largely from our freshly pressed juices in the restaurant. We plan to hire 25 to 30 people for the new restaurant, and that hiring process for hourly employees will likely start in early January,” she said.
The restaurant’s “Healthier Side” menu features a variety of dietary and allergy-sensitive options, including egg white omelets and quinoa power bowls. Items like superseed protein pancakes, elevated egg sandwiches and BLTs benedict are part of the offerings, and popular enough to warrant a First Watch cookbook.
Like breakfast, the lunch menu is also seasonal, locally sourced, and prepared on-site. Chopped salads, wraps, signature sandwiches, and craft cocktails go with the morning paper and Wi-Fi connection the early birds leave behind. It’s a recipe that has worked for the large chain since 1983.
Headquartered near Sarasota, the Sunshine State would seem to have as many First Watches as its muffins do blueberries; in South Florida alone, there are locations in Deerfield Beach, Lauderhill, and Plantation.
First Watch restaurants are open from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Jen Russon is a freelance writer and English Language Arts teacher. She has published two novels to Amazon Kindle and lives in Coral Springs with her family.
- News2020.05.19Marcel the Cookie Man to his Friends in Coral Springs: ‘Thank You… I Love You all’
- News2020.05.13Community Rallies around Beloved Sweet Tomatoes Server after Restaurant Closes
- News2020.05.07Panthers Softball Team Thanks Frontline Heroes in Heartwarming Video
- News2020.05.07Forest Glen Teachers Honored with ‘Teacher Appreciation’ Lunch