Can’t view the slideshow on your device? Then view it on Flickr
By: Sharon Aron Baron
Although no dogs were allowed into the restaurant for the Inaugural Fundraiser for Police K9’s, the event was all about them, raising over $2,200 for their care.
On Wednesday night, the Coral Springs Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 87 held their first ever K9 fundraiser at Wings Plus. Owner Brian Walsh donated 15 percent of every sale towards the fund, and diners also gave on top of that.
One hundred percent of all proceeds raised is earmarked for the Fraternal Order of Police K9 Retirement fund.
When Police Service Dogs retire they often have injuries and health problems due to their many rigorous years of service. These dogs once provided a great service to the city by apprehending fleeing criminals, locating missing persons/children, locating hidden narcotics, searching for evidence, and they are also part of the SWAT team.
Currently, CSPD has six active and three retired K9’s. They serve an average of 8-10 years with the police and their work leads to the seizure of tens of thousands of dollars a year in vehicles, money, and other property that is seized from drug dealers.
Many cities, such as the City of Margate, provide a benefit for their retired K-9’s, however, Coral Springs does not. Their human partners often take on the responsibility of ownership of these dogs once they retire. With that responsibility comes the care and financial burden of veterinarian bills, housing, nutrition, exercise, and then cremation when that time arises.
If you missed the event, you can still help our K9’s. Go to www.CoralspringsFOP.com where you can even donate using Paypal.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.10.22Tickets Still Available for Comedian Whitney Cummings Nov. 12
- Events2021.10.21Tickets Still Available for ‘The Price is Right Live’ in Coral Springs Oct. 29
- News2021.10.19Volunteers Needed to Assist Free Food Distribution at Chabad of Coral Springs
- News2021.10.14Coral Springs ‘Taps’ into Bavarian Culture with Amazing Oktoberfest Celebration