By Sharon Aron Baron
As part of their ongoing commitment to ensure residents and business owners are trained, equipped, empowered, and ready to help STOP THE BLEED, the City of Coral Springs hosts two free training sessions on National STOP THE BLEED Day.
After the military widely adopted tourniquets and tourniquet training, their use during the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts was reviewed in 2012, and a clear survival benefit was identified.
A follow-up study in 2014 showed similar benefits related to tourniquet use amongst civilians and further introduced direct pressure and wound packing to the list of simple but effective skills that could be used to control active bleeding in an emergency. This would ultimately help establish the bystander as playing a critical role in saving lives due to severe bleeding. Efforts to train bystanders soon began after.
The first STOP THE BLEED training is held on Thursday, May 20, 2021, from 10:00 a.m. – 11:45 a.m., and the second from 12:00 p.m. – 1:45 p.m.
“Coral Springs remains committed to life safety education for our residents and business owners. Implementing changes to our AED ordinance to include life-saving equipment was revolutionary,” said Fire Chief Michael McNally. “It reaffirmed our efforts to educate and empower citizens to take action in saving a life when seconds count.”
In 2018, Coral Springs revised its AED ordinance, 2018-102, to include the requirement of bleeding control kits for businesses in the city. STOP THE BLEED kits were provided to companies, free of charge, and training courses were offered through the Coral Springs Regional Institute of Public Safety (CSRIPS).
Classes size is limited to 24 persons per session. This free training is held at Coral Springs Gymnasium, 2501 Coral Springs Drive. Click here to register.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.06.22Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event
- Events2021.06.22Ticket Alert: Comedian Steven Wright Performs at the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.06.18Volunteers Needed for Coral Springs Drive Clean-Up Day June 26
- News2021.06.18Broward County Public Schools Offer 39 Covid Vaccination Sites for Students 12 and Older