By: Sharon Aron Baron
Three Coral Springs Girl Scouts troops recently helped maintain a local Reflection Garden memorial for the lives lost at Marjory Stoneman High School.
The garden, located in Whispering Woods Park, was part of the Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida’s second annual Earth Defenders council-wide community service project, which benefits their local communities.
Created in April 2018 as a memorial for the 17 lives lost at Marjory Stoneman Doulas High School in Parkland as part of the Everglades Service Unit’s Earth Day project, ten Girl Scouts from Troop 10254 recently worked to help maintain the garden by weeding, gathering garbage, and removing debris along with refreshing the landscaping.
Girl Scouts across the council made it their mission to defend the planet and worked hard over a month-long period to make the world a better and greener place.
The girls took the lead and worked with their troops to figure out how they wanted to make a difference from beach clean-ups to large-scale planting projects. With over 900 girls participating from 92 troops, the impact of their collective efforts was significant.
In Broward County alone, 42 environmental projects were completed by over 363 Girl Scouts.
Fourteen Girl Scouts from Troop 12304 went around their homes and gathered all their dried-out markers and pens to donate to The PenGuy Recycling program. And 20 Girl Scouts from Troop 10269 collected pull tabs from soda cans, beer cans, etc. to donate to Ronald McDonald House where they will be recycled, and the money earned is used to fund the organization.
Most of the projects consisted of environmental cleanups, whether at a beach, local park, or community center, and recycling efforts focused on reducing single-use plastics. They also had many troops complete planting and gardening projects to increase oxygen production and support pollinating insects.
Whispering Woods Park is located at 7701 Wiles Road in Coral Springs.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.11.23Coral Springs Holiday Parade Becomes a Drive-Thru Experience
- News2020.11.20MLK Committee Hosts Inaugural Virtual Art Contest for K-12 Students
- News2020.11.20Feeding South Florida to Host Thanksgiving Food Distributions in Days Leading Up to Thanksgiving
- News2020.11.16Coral Springs Police and Dispatch Receive National Re-Accreditation