By: Sharon Aron Baron
A vice principal of JP Taravella was hit by a car while directing traffic on Riverside Drive in Coral Springs early Wednesday morning.
Vice Principal Lisa Pannazzo was standing in the safety lane in front of JP Taravella High School and was assisting with carpool since it was the third day of school. During this time Marcelina Richter of Coral Springs stopped at the stop sign on NW 107 Ave and Riverside Drive after dropping her daughter off for school.
According to the police report, Richter began to travel south and attempt to make a left turn to travel east on Riverside Drive. She looked left, then right, and began to initiate her left turn after looking once more. While driving forward, she could not stop in time to avoid striking Pannazzo. According to Richter, she was confused between her pedals and while trying to apply the brake, Pannazzo rolled up onto her hood then back down on to the ground as Richter rolled over, then stopped on top of her.
Coral Springs Fire Rescue responded and extricated her from under the vehicle where she was airlifted to Broward Health where she is listed in serious condition.
Accident investigators stated on the report that the driver contributed to the crash by not looking where her vehicle was going and failing to observe what was in front of her. However Pannazzo was not utilizing any high visibility protective equipment and should not have been in the roadway guiding traffic without it.
No one will be cited in this accident according to police.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.03.08Just Announced: City Hosts Free ‘Hoppin’ into Springs’ Egg Hunt
- News2021.03.08Leadership Broward Launches ‘Follow the Leader in You’ Program for 8th-Grade Students
- News2021.03.08Check Out Open Play Chess in Coral Springs on March 10
- News2021.03.08Coral Springs Expands Recycling Options with New Mullins Park Location