By: Matt Rothman
J.P, Taravella’s baseball team retired number 19 of the late head coach and Athletic Director Jason Stein during their opening game.
An athletic director since 2011, Stein died from complications of COVID-19 on August 20, and on Thursday, the team honored him by wearing his number throughout the game.
The number may have been a lucky charm because JPT earned an impressive 2-1 victory over South Broward High School.
Colby Lipovsky made the start and pitched four no-hit innings striking out ten and walking three. E.J. Burns and Brandon Metiver pitched the final three innings and allowed only one run as Burns earned the save.
The Trojans scored their first run in the fourth inning on an error and then got an RBI single from Tony Sanders in the fifth.
Chris Scinta had a pair of hits while Matt Rubin and Vincent Samuel also recorded hits while Julian Garcia, Justin Rivera, and Scinta all had a stolen base.
“Tonight was a very emotional night for everyone,” Head Coach Joseph Giummule said. “Jason wouldn’t have wanted it any other way than a tough fought close ball game. I know Coach Stein pulled us through this tight ball game with the W.”
Ilana and Hailey Stein, along with Michelle Stein throwing out the first pitch and the reveal of Jason Stein’s retired number in Left Field. pic.twitter.com/zJBKqQTTwb
— Taravella Baseball (@JptBaseball) February 18, 2021
Next, the Trojans will play on the road at Wellington Community High School on Thursday, February 18, with the first pitch scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.03.04Coral Springs High School Girl’s Flag Football Team Win Big in First Game
- News2021.03.04Coral Glades Star Running Back Keshawn Barrett Signs with University
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Wins 1st Game With Strong Offense
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Incredible Run Ends at States