By: Sharon Aron Baron
Three local Broward County Public School students will be graduating with something not many can achieve: Perfect attendance.
This week, they were rewarded by the school district for never missing a single day of school since they began in kindergarten.
In Coral Springs, students Arun Jairam and Alaina Gelman from JP Taravella High School were recognized by their Principal Dr. Nault and School Board Member Abby Freedman. Jairam will be attending the University of Florida this fall to study engineering and Gelman will be attending the University of Central Florida to study elementary education.
In Parkland, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student Carmen Lo was recognized by Principal Ty Thompson and School Board member Abby Freedman.
“It is an honor to be able to work with our schools and recognize these students for the best attendance in one of the largest School Districts in the country,” said Phillip Shaver Coordinator, District Attendance.
Stanley C. Panther from the NHL Florida Panthers joined Phillip Shaver from BCPS Student Services at the surprise events at the schools.
This year, Broward County Public Schools is celebrating 350 students with perfect attendance at their grade levels: elementary K-5, middle 6-8, and high school 9-12. There are a total of six seniors who have not missed a day of school since kindergarten.
On May 10, the students will be recognized at the event “Evening Among the Stars,” where parents will receive a certificate acknowledging their role in their child’s education and regular attendance. All students who were invited to the perfect attendance event will walk across the stage and meet district leaders as they receive specialized “swag bags” as they prepare to move on to their next stage of education.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.11.23Coral Springs Holiday Parade Becomes a Drive-Thru Experience
- News2020.11.20MLK Committee Hosts Inaugural Virtual Art Contest for K-12 Students
- News2020.11.20Feeding South Florida to Host Thanksgiving Food Distributions in Days Leading Up to Thanksgiving
- News2020.11.16Coral Springs Police and Dispatch Receive National Re-Accreditation