By: Sharon Aron Baron
A 1983 case of a violent sexual battery occurring in the city of Coral Springs is solved thanks to DNA evidence.
Timothy Norris, 60, has been charged after the detectives with the Coral Springs Police Department’s Special Victims Unit (SVU), with the assistance of the Crime Scene Investigations (CSI) Unit and the Broward Sheriff’s Office Crime Lab matched a piece of his clothing to the scene.
In the early morning hours of August 22, 1983, the victim awoke to an armed stranger in the bedroom of her Coral Springs home. The suspect gained entry through a rear door and proceeded to rape the victim against her will.
The suspect was described as a young white male, slender build, brown hair, clean-cut, with strong cologne and a heavy southern accent.
Evidence recovered from the scene was originally sent to the Broward Sheriff’s Office Crime lab for analysis; however, available technology at the time was unable to identify a suspect. Additional investigative techniques also failed to identify a suspect at that time.
On March 14, 2019, Special Victims Unit detectives and members of CSI reevaluated evidence as part of their on-going cold case initiative. Several items were identified and sent to the Broward Sheriff’s Office Crime Lab for processing utilizing current technology.
On June 27, 2019, detectives learned that a sample of the victim’s clothing contained a DNA profile belonging to Timothy Norris.
Norris, who is currently serving a federal sentence in West Virginia for armed bank robbery, has prior arrests for armed burglary, aggravated assault, assault on a female, and kidnapping.
Due to the persistent efforts of CSPD’s SVU Detectives, members of the CSI Unit, and BSO’s Crime Lab, Timothy Norris was charged with sexual battery with a weapon. An arrest warrant was obtained, and Norris is awaiting extradition back to Florida.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2019.11.16Tiny Meat Gang: The Global Domination Tour Heads to Coral Springs
- News2019.11.143 Coral Springs Schools Earn Five-Star Award from Florida Department of Education
- News2019.11.14New Building May Offer Fresh Beginning at Marjory Stoneman Douglas
- Crime & Safety2019.11.13Sheriff Gregory Tony Announces Campaign Kick-off Fundraiser