By: Jill Fox
Out of more than one hundred applicants, two local students were among the 15 who received scholarships, ranging from to $250 to $1,000, from the Florida division of the Women of AT&T.
Alyssa Singh of Coral Springs and Barrington McFarlane of Parkland, both graduates of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, received awards for the second year in a row based on their GPAs and extracurricular activities.
Alyssa, a sophomore at Florida Gulf Coast University in Fort Myers, is pursuing a degree in resort and hospitality management and has a GPA of 3.33.
Barrington, a junior at Florida State University, is double-majoring in economics and history and plans to attend law school after receiving his bachelor’s degree. He has a GPA of 3.96, sits on the Student Disciplinary Council, and is the administrative vice president for the Interfraternity Council.
Women of AT&T member, Sandy Thomas said they are pleased to award scholarships to these deserving students.
The organization, made up of AT&T employees supports personal and professional development for its members as well as community involvement. Any Florida high school senior or full-time college student recommended by a member is eligible to apply. Barrington’s mother, Moya, is an attendance analyst in the business customer sales group and has worked for AT&T for 18 years. Alyssa’s mother, Junie, is a senior project program manager in the global supply chain group and has been with AT&T for 28 years. Both work in their Sunrise location.
Thomas said, “These scholarships help provide a means to help students earn an education and later enter the workforce and become contributing members of society.”
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She is currently a Senior Account Director at Lon Haber & Co., a leading full-service public relations firm. Fox worked at NBC Miami for eight years after graduating from the University of Miami. She lives in Parkland with her husband, Brian and two children.
- News2020.02.18Somerset Parkland Academy Holds Informational Sessions For Interested Families
- News2020.02.18Coral Springs Youth Soccer League Becomes Heart Health Advocates Thanks to Local Parent
- Events2020.02.18Service Hours Provided for Volunteers at the 2020 Coral Springs Festival of the Arts
- News2020.02.13Tap 42 Craft Kitchen & Bar Announces Grand Opening Date of Coral Springs Location