An 81 year old man who allowed his dog to maul a cat and was caught on video doing so, was found guilty by a jury today. After only a day of testimony, the jury returned their verdict and found Hume Hamilton, 81, guilty of animal cruelty charges, a third degree felony.
Hume Hamilton was walking his pit bull when it attacked a cat belonging to Coral Springs resident Tia Spath.
Spath, who lives in Ridgeview, was shocked to find out that their cat named “Mama” had been killed at her family business, Brandy Bail Bonds, in Fort Lauderdale. She says that Mama had been their pet for almost 12 years and was a fixture at the business.
In the shocking surveillance video, the owner of a pitbull is seen walking on the property of Brandy Bail Bonds while following his dog’s lead to get closer to the cat, when the pitbull viciously attacks. The dog’s strong jaws grab the cat and the owner cannot get him to release. The man even tries to pull the cat out of the dog’s mouth, even stepping on the cat’s stomach. He finally he pulls the dog away, runs away, and leaves the cat for dead.
Mama later died of her injuries and is buried at the business.
Hamilton had been held in jail since July without bond because he is facing charges for aggravated battery with a deadly weapon. He was already on probation, so the judge held him without bond pending this trial. He could face jail time for this crime when he is sentenced next month.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.11.30New Covid-19 Testing Site in Coral Springs Offers 2 Types of Detection
- News2020.11.29Broward County Public Schools Awarded Grants to Broaden Participation in Computer Science
- News2020.11.29Popular ‘Bethlehem Revisited’ Event Canceled Due to Covid-19
- News2020.11.28Chabad of Coral Springs Holds Free Food Distribution December 1