By: Sharon Aron Baron
Just days after Ty Thompson announced his resignation as principal of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, a new principal has been recommended to the school board.
Michelle Kefford, an educator for over 20 years, was most recently principal at Charles W. Flanagan High School in Pembroke Pines.
Since 2011. under her leadership, Flanagan High earned its first ever “A” and has received an “A” for six out of the seven years she served as principal. During her tenure, she initiated several programs, including “Kefford’s Kids,” a mentoring program, and “Falcon Flyers,” an initiative that enables middle school students to earn high school credits at Flanagan High.
Kefford began her career as a biology teacher at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High (1999 – 2005), before becoming an assistant principal at Western High School (2005 – 2010), followed by assistant principal at Boyd Anderson High School (2010 – 2011). Her leadership skills and experience led her to being named principal at Flanagan High (2011 – 2019).
In March, the Florida State Board of Education named Kefford the 2019 Florida Principal of the Year, and last school year Broward County Public Schools named Kefford the 2018 Broward Schools Principal of the Year.
As a passionate educator and BCPS graduate, she has held various positions on district committees; volunteers on several city and county committees; and works continuously to build school pride and staff morale. For Kefford, high-quality education is a family tradition, as she is the proud daughter of retired teachers.
This week, Superintendent Robert W. Runcie announced his recommendation for Kefford to be the new principal at the Parkland school, pending school board approval. Her new role would begin July 1, 2019.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.01.16Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship Applications Open to 5 High Schools
- News2021.01.15Taddeo and Daley Re-File Legislation to Repeal Unconstitutional Gun Regulation Restriction on Local Governments
- News2021.01.13U.S. Rep Deutch Calls on Pence to Activate 25th Amendment
- News2021.01.13City Reminds Residents Coral Square Vaccination Site is by Appointment Only