By Kevin Deutsch
A parent who dropped a student off outside Sawgrass Springs Middle School—but did so in a no-stopping zone—wound up in jail after fleeing a traffic stop, court records show.
The infraction by Kevin Halsall, 51, of Miramar, was spotted by a Coral Springs Police motorcycle officer doing traffic enforcement outside the school on Oct. 6, at 12500 W. Sample Rd., according to an arrest affidavit filed by the police department.
Halsall, who does not have a valid driver’s license, said he would pull over when the traffic officer approached him on foot, police said. Instead, Halsall drove off as the officer gave chase on his motorcycle, court records show.
After reaching a dead-end near 3200 Sportsplex Drive, he exited his car, and police ordered him to lay on the ground, police said.
After being treated for a medical issue, he was arrested and taken to the Broward Main Jail.
Halsall was charged with fleeing and eluding a law enforcement officer using lights and sirens, attempting to flee and elude a law enforcement officer, driving without a valid license, and standing in a prohibited zone.
He is currently free on a $3,525 bond, records show.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- Crime & Safety2022.05.19“A Growing Threat”: Rep. Deutch Applauds Passage of Resolution Condemning Rising Antisemitism
- News2022.05.16COVID Infection Totals Rising In Broward Schools
- Eat2022.05.14Coral Springs Restaurants Suffer Revenue Losses Amid Gas Outage
- News2022.05.13Coral Springs Crime Update: $472K Fraud Using False Pretense