By: Sharon Aron Baron
A pedestrian was fatally struck by a vehicle while he was attempting to cross West Sample Road in Coral Springs late Wednesday night.
According to Coral Springs Police Captain Brad McKeone, just before midnight on Wednesday, Ruben Nieves, 52, of Margate was attempting to cross 6200 block of West Sample Road in a northbound direction when a 2003 Toyota Corolla traveling westbound driven by Adrian Simmons, 24, of Coral Springs struck him in the furthest lane resulting in a fatality.
Witnesses tried to perform CPR to Nieves, however, he died on the scene. Simmons remained on the scene after the accident and cooperated with officers while they conducted an investigation.
McKeone said that the pedestrian was not crossing at the intersection and was wearing dark clothing.
“The pedestrian was crossing mid-block about 100-150 yards west of the closest intersection. You really should try and cross at the actual crosswalk where it’s well-lit and there’s some type of traffic control device for both vehicles and pedestrians.”
On Friday, Coral Springs Police already had an initiative in place to educate pedestrians and bicyclists through a grant on the importance of crossing roadways safely. After the citywide education period, they will follow up in a few weeks with enforcement.
“This stretch of road has resulted in several fatalities, and this is one of the areas that we will be focusing on,” he said.
Jim Donnelly contributed to this story.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.11.27Sawgrass Nature Center Holds 4th Annual Orchid Festival
- News2020.11.26City Distributes 350 Thanksgiving Turkeys to Coral Springs Residents in Need
- News2020.11.23Coral Springs Holiday Parade Becomes a Drive-Thru Experience
- News2020.11.20MLK Committee Hosts Inaugural Virtual Art Contest for K-12 Students