By: Sharon Aron Baron
The City of Coral Springs will be holding a special election for a new city commissioner after Dan Daley announced his run for State Representative last December.
After former State Rep. Jared Moskowitz accepted Governor DeSantis appointment as director of the Florida Division of Emergency Management, Daley had to make some quick decisions after only being reelected to the District 2 seat one month earlier. His plan was always to run for the seat down the road, however, once Moskowitz was tapped by the governor for the position, leaving the District 97 seat open, he had only a week’s worth of time to decide that he wanted to run for the seat.
Daley will continue his duties as a city commissioner until the June 18 special election. In the meantime, residents interested in the seat must first file and then complete the qualifying process. This includes filling out paperwork and paying city and state fees. This must be completed between noon, Monday, March 4, 2019 through noon, Friday, March 8, 2019. All candidates must also be eligible voters who have resided in Coral Springs in the last six months.
Although the mayoral election is March 12, the election for the District 2 seat could not be scheduled on that same day because the city charter requires a 90 day notice, and unfortunately, Moskowitz was not able to resign from his seat in time.
For residents interested in running, contact City Clerk Debra Thomas who will provide materials for review, and follow-up with an in-person meeting to explain the candidate process at email@example.com or 954-344-1067.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.05.17Official 2021/22 Broward County Public Schools Color Calendar
- News2021.05.17Chabad of Coral Springs Holds Free Food Distribution May 19, Volunteers Needed
- News2021.05.16Winner of Coral Springs Talk Cover Photo Contest Announced
- News2021.05.14City of Coral Springs Honors Nurses and Volunteers from COVID19 Vaccine Site