By Sharon Aron Baron
Two bills by State Rep. Dan Daley, D-Coral Springs, passed out of the Early Learning & Elementary Education Subcommittee with unanimous, bipartisan support.
Named after Edna Mae McGovern of Coral Springs, who lost her life to a preventable tragedy, HB 1119 will promote swimming and water safety lessons by asking parents of children entering any public or private school system to confirm whether their child has had swimming lessons.
“No parent should ever have to lose a child. We need to do everything we can to ensure all of our residents, especially the youngest, know the basics of swimming and water safety. I am honored to sponsor this bipartisan bill with Representative Jim Mooney,” said Rep Daley.
HB 489 would require middle and high schools across the state to include the number for a national or statewide hotline for mental health and suicide prevention to be included on the back of a student ID.
This bill comes from students at McArthur High School that participated in the Democracy in Action Program, a student bill proposal contest within Broward County.
“Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people ages 15 to 24 in Florida,” said Rep. Daley. “This bill will provide students with an easily accessible helpline to spread mental health awareness and provide assistance to those in need. I am honored to sponsor this bill will Representative Marie Woodson.”
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.07.12Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event