By: Sharon Aron Baron
The Sawgrass Nature Center & Animal Hospital is offering volunteer opportunities for people or organizations who would like to help the nonprofit organization.
Located on five acres of land donated by the City of Coral Springs in the Sportsplex Park, the Nature Center includes a wildlife hospital where native animals are treated, rehabilitated, and released back into the wild as well as an outdoor classroom to hold educational programs, lectures, camp, parties, group activities and meetings.
Allen Rose, executive director of the center, said they award service hours to teens which can be used towards high school graduation. Teens who are 16-years-old and older can volunteer by themselves, however, if they are younger, they must be accompanied by an adult. They can volunteer for as many hours and as long as they’d like. Once they turn 18, the center can train them as tour guides or they can work with directly with the animals.
“We appreciate that we can help them achieve their required hours for graduation, and that’s what we offer here,” said Rose.
The center offers opportunities on the property for groups, businesses or organizations to help keep up the landscaping by mowing, weeding, weed-whacking, sweeping, raking, trimming trees, pressure cleaning and painting.
Volunteers with Home Depot installed tiles which cover the butterfly and bird garden in one day. and Rose said projects like this benefit the company as well.
“The company pays for them, brings 15-20 employees and they come out and do a project together – which isn’t necessarily the same one each time.”
Adults volunteers are also needed on Sundays to greet guests and answer phones.
If you or your child is interested, fill out the application from the Sawgrass center website or contact Heather Nelson, volunteer coordinator at email@example.com
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2022.01.17Celebrating 10 Years: Winner’s Name Drawn for $150 Gift Card Giveaway
- News2022.01.17Free Food Distribution Held on Jan. 19 at Chabad of Coral Springs
- Events2022.01.16Winner Chosen for 4 Free Tickets to ‘World’s Largest Bounce House’
- Crime & Safety2022.01.14Coral Springs-Parkland Firefighter Who Battled Cancer Laid to Rest