By Anne Geggis
A teenager was arrested in Coral Springs Monday and another woman in Hollywood for their involvement in trafficking minors for sex.
Coral Springs police were among a slew of law enforcement agencies that helped the FBI in the arrests of Alexandra Gloria Ramirez, 19, in Coral Springs, and Kiara Mercedes Nunez, 21, in Hollywood, according to a news release from the federal agency.
The arrests were made without incident. They were the culmination of efforts by the Broward County Human Trafficking Task Force, which includes the Broward County State’s Attorney, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for South Florida, and police from Coral Springs, Fort Lauderdale, and Miramar, the FBI release said.
The investigation also included the Broward Sheriff’s Office, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, and police from Davie, Hollywood, and Plantation.
Broward County jail records show that Ramirez was booked into the Broward County Main Jail without bond. Nunez is being held without bond at the Paul Rein Detention Facility.
It is expected both suspects will appear in federal court in Fort Lauderdale on Wednesday.
Their arrest reports remained sealed in federal court on Tuesday, so no further information was available about what led to their arrests.
The Broward County Human Trafficking Task Force was established to combat all forms of human trafficking while also providing assistance and resources to address the specialized needs of trafficking victims, the FBI release said.
If anyone has information about an FBI investigation or human trafficking, they are urged to call 754-703-2000, the release said.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Anne Geggis has been a newspaper reporter for 30 years, most recently at the Sun Sentinel. She graduated from St. Michael’s College in Colchester, Vt., with a double major in journalism and sociology.
- NewsJanuary 17, 2022Sen. Lauren Book’s Child Welfare Bill Advances in Committee
- NewsSeptember 5, 2020Who to Vote For? Past Coral Springs Leaders Endorse 2 Rivals, But Won’t Narrow it Down
- NewsAugust 31, 2020Court: Parkland Shooting’s Killed and Injured Allowed to Sue FBI for Bungling Tips
- NewsAugust 26, 2020Details Emerge of 15-year-olds’ Sex Trafficking by Coral Springs Teen and ‘Best Friend’