The 2014 high school grades and graduation rates were released by the Florida Department of Education. In the data, more than 75 percent of Broward County Public traditional high schools earned an A or B grade and achieved a graduation rate of 88 percent.
According to the report, Coral Springs High School, Coral Glades, and JP Taravella, all slipped from A’s to B’s in 2014.
The slide was expected after the state drastically changed the way it grades schools, according to the Miami Herald, The harder grading scale meant that schools with the same number of academic “points” as last year sometimes got lower letter grades this time. Even some schools that had improved their overall point total saw their letter grade drop.
The good news is that both Marjory Stoneman Douglas and Coral Springs Charter School maintained an A-rating.
As far as four-year graduation rates: Coral Springs High School had 88 percent; Coral Glades 87 percent; JP Taravella had 90 percent; Marjory Stoneman Douglas had 94 percent; and Coral Springs Charter School had 99 percent.
Twelve Broward County traditional high schools maintained A or B grades for consecutive years: Atlantic Technical, Charles W. Flanagan, Cypress Bay, Deerfield Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Marjory Stoneman Douglas, Nova, Pompano Beach, South Plantation, West Broward, Western and William T. McFatter.
“As a District, we are dedicated to providing students with a high quality education and ensuring they have the proper toolset to compete and succeed in college and career,” said Superintendent Robert W. Runcie. “We appreciate and recognize the hard work of our students, teachers, school leaders and administrators. We will continue to focus on improving the outcomes for all of our students.”
For the sixth consecutive year, Broward County Public Schools had no F-rated traditional high schools.
Read about local elementary and middle school rankings here.
See all Broward County Public School grades.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.07.12Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event