By: Sharon Aron Baron
The Power of Pink was evident Saturday morning during the 10th Annual Broward Health Coral Springs Race For Women’s Wellness which was attended by City officials, community supporters, survivors, children and yes, even dogs walked this year.
Proceeds from the race benefit The Lisa Boccard Fund which provides funding for local women to obtain screening mammograms and breast treatments.
“This year’s race surpassed all my expectations,” said Lisa Boccard. “To see the community support was just overwhelming. It just wasn’t about finish lines and times, but rather gathering together to save women’s lives.”
The Race For Women’s Wellness was started 10 years ago with a small community of supporters. The Lisa Boccard Breast Cancer Fund with the help of several community partners who have all contributed to the success of screening over 2,000 women of which 74 have been identified with breast cancer. Several of these initial supporter continue to participate in the race and share their stories with others. One of the attendees, a gentleman whose wife was diagnosed with breast cancer said that his wife was one of the lucky ones and although he’ll never be a poster boy for physical fitness said “this is the one race that I partake in every year because it is important to me.”
This year, Race Coordinator Kelle Burke designed unique medals and t-shirts for the 10 year celebration. Lisa Boccard waited at the finish line to cheer each runner where they received a medal and towel. Said Boccard, “These are the moments that I live for and this is why I am so fortunate to be able to share my journey with others. It’s not just a race, it’s every person’s story or personal journey with cancer.”
For all race results, please visit raceresults.com
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.04.16President, Governor, Directs Flags at Half-Staff in Honor of Indianapolis Victims on April 20
- News2021.04.14Coral Springs Man Catches Unbelievable Video of Meteor
- News2021.04.14J&J Appointment Canceled? Broward Health has a solution
- News2021.04.13City of Coral Springs Live-Streams 33rd Annual National Day of Prayer