By Sharon Aron Baron
Calling all college-bound high school students in Broward, Miami-Dade, and Palm Beach counties with a passion for theater and journalism.
Gary Schweikhart, board president of the Carbonell Awards, has announced the call for applications for the 2024 Jack Zink Memorial Student Scholarships.
Since its inception in 1978, the Carbonell Awards, celebrated as South Florida’s Theater & Arts Honors, has awarded over $125,000 in scholarships to talented students.
In 2024, the tradition continues with three scholarships of $2,000 each to be awarded, one for a student from each of the three counties.
The selection of recipients will be based on talent, experience, and a demonstrated commitment to theater or journalism. The process, chaired by Carbonell Vice President and Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs member Javier Siut, ensures a fair and comprehensive evaluation of all applicants. Detailed guidelines and the application form can be found at the Carbonell Awards Website.
- Graduating high school seniors with a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- Residents of Broward, Miami-Dade, or Palm Beach County.
- Nominations by a mentor from school or theater (excluding parents or self-nominations).
- Acceptance into a college program for theater or journalism, if selected.
- The deadline for applications is set for Monday, February 5, 2024.
Named after the late Jack Zink, a renowned South Florida entertainment journalist and a key figure in the region’s cultural scene, the scholarship honors his legacy in arts journalism.
The Carbonell Awards is a cornerstone of South Florida’s cultural community, fostering artistic growth by celebrating the diverse talents of local theater artists, providing educational scholarships, and enhancing public appreciation of the arts.
For more information and updates, visit www.carbonellawards.org.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- EventsFebruary 22, 2024Black History Month Book Fair Celebrates African American Culture
- EventsFebruary 21, 2024Phi Xi Zeta Chapter Celebrates 16 Years in Coral Springs with Tribute to Police
- NewsFebruary 21, 2024Coral Glades Educator Named Finalist for Career and Technical Education Teacher
- EventsFebruary 19, 2024Orchid and Plant Festival Returns to the Sawgrass Nature Center