By: Sharon Aron Baron
Local students, including two from JP Taravella in Coral Springs, have just been awarded college scholarships from Tropical Financial Credit Union.
A not-for-profit financial institution, Tropical Financial Credit Union awarded ten scholarships, at $1,000 each, to local students who are already in college – or set to start this fall.
“Being an active part of the community is very important here at Tropical Financial,” said Rich Helber, president and CEO of Tropical Financial Credit Union. “These students have such a bright future and we are proud to be able to grant these scholarships. It feels good knowing this money is helping them pay for college and reach financial independence.”
This is the fifth year for the program created to help local students further their education. This year, Tropical Financial selected eight students attending college and two recent high school grads who are starting college. Four scholarship recipients are from Broward County, five are from Miami and one is from Palm Beach County.
Ashley Aguiar – Senior at Miami Springs Senior High. Will attend University of Florida.
Amber Brocki – Senior at JP Taravella. Will attend University of South Florida.
Chelsea Gerena – Senior at JP Taravella. Will attend the University of Florida.
Jasmine Green – Senior at William H. Turner Technical Arts High School. Will attend Florida A&M University.
Bri Harrington – Currently attending Florida Memorial University.
Mandy Hunnewell – Senior at Coral Reef High School. Will attend Florida International University.
Jolene Loreno – Senior at Suncoast Community High. Will attend Palm Beach Atlantic University.
Orlando Martinez – Currently attending John Hopkins University.
Alexa Mullings – Senior at American Heritage. Will attend Florida State University.
Alejandro Vecchio – Senior at Plantation High School. Will attend University of Florida.
All of the applicants were required to submit an essay highlighting their personal and educational objectives and how Tropical Financial has, or could, help them reach financial goals. Other factors considered: community involvement, charity work and extracurricular activities.
Tropical Financial Credit Union is located at 1201 N. University Drive Coral Springs, FL 33071.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.30Coral Springs Center for the Arts Announces 11 Concerts, Comedy, and Shows
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts