By: Sharon Aron Baron
A routine trip to the bank took a tragic turn for two cousins on Wednesday.
Blanca Rojas-Bedoya, 51, dropped off her cousin Rubiela Aviles-Rojas, 61, both from Coral Springs, so that she could conduct business inside of the Chase Bank located at 8975 Atlantic Boulevard.
According to Captain Brad McKeone, after Aviles-Rojas exited the bank, she walked in front of the 1999 Mitsubisi SUV that Rojas-Bedoya was sitting in, which was stopped in the parking lot. However, she accidentally pressed the accelerator, driving over her cousin. The cousin was dragged approximately 30 feet, before the vehicle jumped a curb and struck a tree before coming to a stop.
Bystanders ran to the vehicle, flipped the SUV on its side to free Aviles-Rojas, who was still under the vehicle with very serious injuries.
She was airlifted from the scene, transported to Broward Health North, were she was pronounced dead at 5:25 p.m. Royas-Bedoya was not injured during the incident.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.01.19Coral Springs Crime and Arrest Update Through January 12
- News2021.01.19Girl Scouts Receive Funding from Coral Springs Community Chest
- News2021.01.19Coral Springs Police School Resource Officer Arrested for Solicitation of a Minor
- News2021.01.1916th Annual Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Rescheduled