Marisa Catronio and Kaitlyn Ferrante
By: Sharon Aron Baron
On Thursday morning, a second victim had succumbed to injuries from last weekend’s collision on the Sawgrass Expressway.
Kaitlyn Nicole Ferrante, 21, suffered from severe head injuries after the accident and was kept on life support while in the hospital.
Thursday morning she was pronounced dead.
Ferrante and her best friend Marisa Catronio, both of Coral Springs were returning home Sunday at 1:45 a.m. when driver Kayla Mendoza, 20, was heading the wrong way on the Sawgrass Expressway and slammed into them between University and Coral Ridge Drive.
Catronio was pronounced dead on the scene.
The story takes an even more disturbing turn as the Miami New Times has reported that Mendoza tweeted just two hours before the accident that she was “2 drunk 2 care.”
Mendoza’s Twitter handle was @highimkaila and in the description, she is described as the “pothead princess.”
Mendoza had previously tweeted thoughts like, “Can’t deal with people that don’t have their *expletive* together,” and a picture of a hand holding what appears to be a marijuana cigarette.
On November 12, Mendoza tweeted, “2 high 2 care,” and on November 2, “I really am so baked right now.”
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.02.27Arson, Burglary, and Battery, This Week in Coral Springs Crime
- News2021.02.26Dr. Andrea Pryce Selected as Operations Manager for the Coral Springs Regional Institute of Public Safety
- Crime & Safety2021.02.26FOUND: Parkland Teen Missing after Disagreement at Home
- News2021.02.25Congress Reintroduce Bipartisan EAGLES Act Mass Violence Prevention Bill